Over the last couple of weeks we have been remembering all those who were killed in the dreadful carnage of 1st July 1916 at the Somme, and especially 7 local men:
Six were in the Highland Light Infantry, 17th Battalion ( Glasgow Chamber of Commerce)
– Private William Anderson, age 22, son of Jessie & William of Wilson Street, Beith, a Law Clerk with ‘Love and Williamson’. No known grave – remembered on Thiepval Memorial.
– Lance Corporal William Houston, age 20, son of David & Martha. Buried in Lonsdale Cemetery, Authville, Somme.
– Private Alexander James Love, age 33, son of Daniel Love, Procurator Fiscal, of Beith. Remembered on Thiepval Memorial.
– Private Matthew Park, of Reform Street, Beith, Ship’s Steward on Atlantic liners. Buried Blighty Valley Cemetery, Authville Wood.
– Private Robert Tod Ritchie, age 32, son of John & Jane of Townhead. Robert was another Law Clerk at ‘Love & Williamson’. Buried Lonsdale Cemetery, Authville
– Lance Serjeant James Cunningham McNaught. Worked at ‘Love and Williamson’. Remembered on Thiepval Memorial.
– Private Alan McNaughton, age 21, 2nd Seaforth Highlanders, son of John & Sarah of Station Cottage, Lugton, Beith. Buried Sucrerie Military Cemetery, Colincamps.
If anyone knows any more about these men please get in touch or if you know of any other men who lost their lives on this day.